If you are an online content expert with a desire to see greater diversity and representation in entertainment journalism - and would like to help us find, develop, mentor, and support new voices and perspectives to publish on our site, we need you.
Why choose us:
For over a decade, Screen Rant has been the industry leader in covering the movies, TV shows, comic books, and video games that pop culture fans love. We welcome writers and editors from all walks of life; however, we recognize there is much more we can do and that Screen Rant has a responsibility to be active in creating opportunities for a new (and more diverse) generation of BIPOC and LGBTQ+ entertainment reporters. We are committed to this effort and in search of a talented editor, energetic trailblazer, and caring mentor who believes in this mission and has the knowledge necessary to ensure we succeed.
What you will be doing:
- Work with our in-house hiring team to scout writers and editors from diverse backgrounds to contribute to our site, provide fresh editorial perspectives, and grow into senior roles.
- Develop pitches from new writers, edit work, and deliver unique and diverse viewpoints on the topics our readers enjoy.
- Mentor, challenge, and support new writers - providing constructive but critical feedback to strengthen voice, formatting standards, and overall quality of work.
- Coordinate with internal teams (PR, reviews, features, and more) to strengthen representation across all sections of the brand.
- Collaborate with existing LGBTQ+ and BIPOC editors and writers on staff to develop new initiatives, outreach, and other programs that will strengthen Screen Rant inclusivity.
- Facilitate successful transition of select writers and editors into the core Screen Rant content operation - when ready.
- In collaboration with our HR lead, help develop guidelines, sensitivity training, and other resources, to improve our team’s handling of culturally sensitive topics and non-white-non-cisgender voices.
- Identify topics and trends that will enrich the scope of our coverage and shed light on deserving creators, projects, and talent.
- Oversee the submission process, evaluation, and awarding of a soon-to-be-established HBCU writing scholarship (annually).
- Connect with industry colleagues within the industry to join forces in promoting inclusion within the entertainment journalism community.
- Represent Screen Rant and our inclusivity efforts in public appearances, television and print interviews, etc.
What you need to succeed:
- Excellent writing and editing skills with a sharp eye for talent.
- Superior knowledge of the pop culture topics, franchises, and genres we cover most.
- Experience working with writers from diverse backgrounds.
- Connections/relationships within communities of underrepresented voices in the industry
- Open-availability and willingness to check-in during evening/weekends.
- Ready to lead by example: writing your own articles as needed and self-publish your written work.
- Organized and efficient: Must be able to quickly write and edit content as well as develop and manage content plans.
Please note that only applicants with the relevant editing/writing experience and leadership qualities highlighted will be contacted. This is a senior-level position, and in order to be considered you must include a cover letter outlining the following:
- Your relevant experience in editing/writing positions, particularly in the entertainment realm
- Your breadth of knowledge of Screen Rant's core content coverage (especially Movies/TV and popular franchises)
- How you would apply your experience to working with and mentoring underrepresented communities in the entertainment journalism sphere whose voices we wish to amplify
- Why you are the right fit for this position