Jr. Entertainment Publishing Editor: Gaming Features
Note: This is a freelance, remote position.
Screen Rant is the #1 independent entertainment website on the web and publishes up-to-the-minute news on blockbuster movies, TV, video games, and comic books. Our editorial team is looking for a junior editor to oversee Gaming Features content under the leadership of the Gaming Lead Editor. The selected candidate will have tremendous career growth opportunities within the organization.
Note that this role does not involve video production, video editing, screenwriting, or writing reviews. Please visit screenrant.com and review your familiarity with our range of topics before applying. In your cover letter, make sure to tell us how your knowledge of video games will complement Screen Rant’s coverage. We would love to welcome you to our community of cinephiles, gamers, and geeks!
- Edit and publish a minimum of 10 posts daily on the Gaming Features team
- Combination of editing/writing (mostly editing)
- Participate in writer development and general writer management
- Oversee and facilitate writer communication in Slack/Asana
- Send feedback to writers according to Screen Rant's standards (as per our writing guides)
- Work with new writers to develop their skills and help them adapt to Screen Rant's standards
- Work with existing writers to develop those suitable for internal development (staff writing, self-publishing, editing)
- Idea generation
- Develop content plans
- Target evergreen topics
- Weekly meetings
- Come prepared with notes and analyses
- Additional tasks
- Approve sniping SEO/angles
- Identify evergreen articles to update
- Relevant experience in senior writing and editing roles (digital publications, entertainment content)
- Broad working knowledge of video games in general
- Quick learner with a strong sense of urgency
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to write articles free of typos and grammatical errors
- Located on the West Coast (Pacific or Mountain Time)
Applicants with experience in the following areas will be given favorable consideration:
- Image editing
- Analytics (GA)
- Freelance writer management
- Proven track record of growing a team, expanding coverage, and driving traffic
What Screen Rant has to offer:
- Perks atypical of a freelance role (guaranteed hours/income & paid time off)
- Incredible opportunities for career growth within a supportive system
- An amazing community of like-minded professionals to nerd out with on a daily basis
Only applicants who possess the necessary skills and experience will be contacted, and only applications containing a resume and cover letter will be considered. It is essential that you demonstrate your breadth of knowledge of popular gaming content in your cover letter. You will not be considered for the role if this information is not included. Please note that the next steps in the hiring process involve both a writing evaluation and an interview.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!