Guide Writer: Gaming Content
Position: Video Game Guide Writer (Remote)
The selected candidate will be responsible for researching new games and finding topics that would make worthwhile guides and strategy/tips articles and then writing those guides as quickly as possible. They should be able to intuit what angle will make for a unique guide as well as what topics gamers are currently searching for. The writer's goal is to create clear and concise articles to aid players throughout their gaming experience.
This is a paid freelance, remote position - that means you can work from anywhere, on your own schedule.
Screen Rant is the #1 entertainment website on the web and publishes up-to-the-minute news on blockbuster movies, TV, video games, and comic books. Our editorial team is looking for experienced writers to contribute video game guides under the leadership of the Lead Gaming Editor. Screen Rant operates at a rapid pace and is seeking writers who can produce high-quality articles under time constraints. The selected candidate will have tremendous career growth and internal development opportunities within the organization.
Note that this role does not involve video production, video editing, screenwriting, or writing reviews. Please visit screenrant.com and review your familiarity with our range of topics before applying. In your cover letter, make sure to tell us how your knowledge of the specific vertical you’re applying for will complement Screen Rant’s coverage. We would love to welcome you to our community of cinephiles, gamers, and geeks!
- Write a minimum of 5-10 articles per week in Screen Rant's house style (following the requisite training and peer mentorship period). This will include fact-checking, formatting, linking, and image sourcing/very basic editing (sizing, brightness, etc.)
- Brainstorm, pitch, and develop original content ideas
- Accept and apply any/all feedback received by the editorial team
- Communicate openly and actively with the editorial team
- Deep knowledge of video game content and a drive to grow within the industry
- Previous writing experience
- The ability to analyze content and pull directly from the source material to back up claims
- A sharp eye for grammatical details
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to write high-quality articles with swift turn-around times
- Comfortable working in an entirely virtual environment
Applicants with experience in the following areas will be given favorable consideration:
- Understanding of the difference between news and features
- Familiarity with platforms such as Asana, Wordpress, and Discord
- Image editing experience
- SEO and Google Analytics knowledge
What Screen Rant has to offer:
- Fully remote — write from wherever you’d like!
- Incredible opportunities for career growth within a supportive system
- An amazing community of like-minded people to nerd-out with on a daily basis
NOTE: Only applications containing a resume and cover letter will be considered. It is essential that you demonstrate your breadth of knowledge of gaming content in your cover letter. You will not be considered for the role if this information is not included. Please note that the next step in the hiring process involves a writing evaluation.
We look forward to hearing from you!